Aren’t we all guilty of going through the motions and not questioning the status quo in our daily lives?! Like going grocery shopping and buying yoghurt off the shelves that entice us with the following words ‘double cream’, ‘full fat’ or even in some cases ‘fat free’ and us not really wondering how it came to be double cream or fat free? Stop right there! It’s time to know what you’re putting into your body, especially if we consume a lot of it and think it is beneficial to our bodies.
Okay, we realise that intro was perhaps slightly dramatic… But this is serious stuff. We’re into healthy guts because we really like your guts and we want you to feel good and do good to your own gut! We’re here to make this process less daunting and much more exciting… Exhibit A – why not make your very own yoghurt (you call the shots and decide exactly what you want to put into it). The reason we’re such big advocates for making your own yoghurt, is that most store-bought yoghurt contains ingredients that we’re not necessarily aware of to make it ‘double cream’ like thickeners and starches, which aren’t beneficial to our overall gut health.
But, we’re taking it a step (actually 5 steps) further. Here are five benefits to making your very own yoghurt:
1. To make yoghurt, you literally need two ingredients: milk and yoghurt culture. The yoghurt culture consists of live bacteria that ferment on the lactose in the milk to form lactic acid which then changes the pH of the milk to curd/clot/thicken into yoghurt. When digested, yoghurt helps to improve the microflora in the gut, which is responsible for digestion and a healthy digestive tract, as well as your immune system. These microorganisms aid in relieving certain gastrointestinal conditions, such as colon cancer, constipation, diarrhoea, IBS and lactose intolerance.
2. Making and consuming your own yoghurt increases bone density & could help prevent bone-related deficiencies/diseases. Jeri Nieves, Ph.D, MS and director of the Bone Density Testing Helen Hayes Hospital in New York says “Adequate nutrition plays a major role in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, and the micronutrients of the greatest importance are calcium and vitamin D. The combination of calcium and vitamin D has a clear skeletal benefit, provided the dose of vitamin D is sufficiently high.” When you make your own yoghurt, you’ll be able to determine what quality of milk goes into your yoghurt which in turn means that your yoghurt will be high in Calcium and vitamin D, it’s a win-win!
3. You determine the goodness, because you call the shots! No added thickeners, starches or preservatives. Only real, active, beneficial ingredients!
4. Homemade yoghurt boosts your immune system! With all the home-grown goodness of your own yoghurt made with live, active bacteria; this is a definitive immune system boost (we’ll never be able to stress enough that 70-80% of your immune system sits in your gut! That should be 100% motivation to want to make your gut the happiest, healthiest place to be).
5. There are numerous health benefits to mention, one of which is that homemade probiotic-rich yoghurt can reduce cholesterol levels. The live bacteria in yoghurt, particularly Lactobacillus Acidophilus, can decrease cholesterol levels with just one 200g serving per day! Research states that regular consumption of probiotic-rich yoghurt can potentially reduce the risk for coronary heart disease by 6-10%.
Making your own yoghurt is not only beneficial to your health, particularly your gut, it is also oh-so-easy and requires minimal preparation and equipment. You don’t need a state of the art yoghurt maker to make state of the ‘heart’ yoghurt that you and your family will adore! And the best part? It doesn’t have to run out…
5 reasons you should make your own yoghurt
Posted by Dairy Community 0 Comments